Ah, the lovable goofy Great Dane! Apollo of the dogs, with affinity for destruction. A good old tennis ball might do the trick, but if you’re looking for something that will last for more than one play session, check out our recommendations of Great Dane toys which work wonders with our resident Dane puppy.
Danes are not known for their retrieving abilities, but we managed to successfully teach ours to fetch one ring, return it for a quick game of tug, while we throw the other one for the next run. Spend 5 minutes with the Puller rings and both you and your dog will be in love. You can also use one for a quick game of tug around the house, and they are invaluable for redirection during your puppy’s biting phase.
- Great physical and mental stimulation
- Great for impulse and fetch training
- Foam material makes it easy for your dog to grab
- Safe for teeth
- Foam material is easily marked by teeth
- Shape does not recover well, so it won’t look great for long
We don’t want to make Great Dane toys sound complex. Most dogs love just a simple plain tennis ball, but if you’re looking for something with a bit more oomph, look no further than the Chuck It Ultra Squeaker ball.
The rubbery material of these balls makes it irresistible, and the squeaker intensifies the desire to get the ball. This ball worked wonders in teaching our Great Dane to wait, speak and be quiet when asked.
Best ball ever! And perfect for the beach.
- It squeaks! dogs love squeaking toys
- Sturdy rubber material
- It squeaks! this can get very annoying for the humans
Your Great Dane is not keen on our choice of top toys? Dingo leather tug will solve your problems! This sturdy toy made out of suede leather will be a hit with any dog who prefers soft toys. It works as a retrieving dummy as well, or with a bit of scent you can try something calmer like scent work.
- sturdy leather material
- easy for your dog to hold
- useful for fetching and scent work
- handle can be a bit difficult to hold if you have a particularly ruff tugger
Kong is a well-known name among dog lovers, and this massive Classic is the perfect size for your giant. A popular staple of the Great Dane toys market -Kong Classic provides great mental stimulation, and can work a treat for you need to leave your beloved pooch alone at home. Our favourite recipe is xylitol-free peanut butter, sprats and a drizzle of honey.
- great mental stimulation for any dog
- sturdy rubber material
- large size means you need to fill it with more food
- your dog will eventually figure out the quickest way to get all the food out of the Kong
Need some downtime? Check our article on how to keep your bored dog entertained.